Microsoft Developers Guide
Microsoft will be deprecating Basic Authentication support for all Exchange Online accounts as of October 1, 2022.
Learn more through our Microsoft Exchange Online and Basic Auth Changes guide.
There are a few things to keep in mind to make sure your organization gets the best out of Nylas.
Users will need to authenticate against your application. You can choose to have Nylas handle logging your users in, or you can build your own portal.
- Hosted Authentication - Nylas handles the authentication
- Native Authentication - You need to build out the authentication, but you are able to fully customize the experience.
Now that you have decided on an authentication method, you can choose how to collect the user information. Microsoft has two authentication methods, Modern/OAuth or Basic.
Review each Microsoft setup to determine if you want to use Modern or Basic.
- Modern/OAuth with Native authentication only works with Office 365 accounts. You must:
- Modern/OAuth with Hosted authentication only works with Office 365 accounts. You must:
- Users can not use an email alias. They must use the actual email address.
- If the email address uses 2FA/MFA, you will need to provide the app-generated password in place of the email password.
- If your Office 365 application has EWS scopes and we are not able to connect, we will fall back to use EAS. See How to Detect MDM Issues for EAS.
- If your application needs contacts, you need to use EAS. Make sure the contacts scope for both Nylas and Azure is enabled.
- Azure app is not needed.
- Uses username and password to authenticate
- If you have 2FA enabled, you need to provide the app password instead of the email password.
- Check with
- If you trying to enable one of the following personal accounts, you will have to use Basic Authentication.
- Office 365
- If the account is enabled using Active Directory, you can use Modern Authentication. Check with your administrator to determine the account type.
- You must use Native authentication with Service Accounts.
- Create an Azure application.
- Invite Nylas to your application.